Sunday, May 1, 2022

Kittiwake the highlight this morning.

Sunday 1st May 2022.

The Pale-bellied Brent Goose that sped through this morning. 

I was up for a sea-watch this morning, especially as the weather forecast looked promising today with East South-easterly winds predicted, but when I arrived at 6.30am this morning at the shelter at Gilkicker Point, the sea was dead flat and there was hardly a breath of wind. It was also a little gloomy over the Solent and rain was forecast for around midday. Could this bring in a nice movement of seabirds?


Oystercatchers heading east.

I wasn't on my own this morning as a couple of unfamiliar birders joined me within the shelter and thankfully, as they say, more pairs of eyes looking, more get seen. A lot of the time, there was simply nothing going through the Solent, but occasionally, something of note would be seen. A small group of Sandwich Terns fished offshore to the west and a few groups of Herring and Great Black-backed Gulls kept us entertained throughout the time we were there. I gave it until 9.15am before I made my way back home as things got too quiet and there were jobs to do at home.

This adult Gannet was first seen sitting on the water but eventually flew off east.

An adult Gannet was my first bird of note this morning, seen sitting on the sea half way across the Solent and a further two more birds were seen flying east during the morning. Minutes later, a flock of 5 Bar-tailed Godwits, including two summer-plumage birds, flew east and a further 10 more birds flew through including one that flew north over our heads and then circled the fields behind us and headed off somewhere west.

I have heard of feeding the Pigeons, but feeding the Crows???

Just four Common Terns were seen and again, no Little Terns to add to my year list; but bird of the morning had to be the adult Kittiwake heading east high over the sea, my first of the year. A single Pale-bellied Brent Goose was seen heading east, somewhat a rather late bird, which was seen earlier off Barton-on-sea and later off Selsey Bill. Other birds noted included 2 Whimbrel, 3 Shelduck, a single drake Mallard, 3 Med Gulls heading north together, 4 Oystercatchers and a Grey Heron; The latter looked as though it was off to the Isle of Wight for its Hols! There was a steady trickle of Swallows coming in off the sea and while I was driving back along the coast road, many more were still flying in. 


This superb Hobby was hunting over Fishlake Meadows yesterday. Photo by Pete Appleton.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...