Wednesday, April 27, 2022

An evening walk around the Cemy.

Wednesday 27th April 2022.


Though a tad cold, a glorious evening in the Cemetery.

I managed a quick walk with Scruff this evening over Highland Road Cemetery, but by the time I arrived, I only had 20 minutes there due to the fact the Council close the Cemetery at 7pm. We are nearly into May where it closes an hour later. In that twenty minutes, I managed to notch up 12 species within or over the Cemy, though nothing that exciting, I was surprised at how many Wood Pigeons there were in the early evening sunshine, but where were all the Collared Doves?. What with all the new shoots coming out on the trees and bushes, I suppose they were having a field day feeding on these.


A sleepy Wood Pigeon. 

Still no Swifts over Portsmouth yet that I have seen so far, but I am sure that they will be here by the end of the week. One flew in off the sea at Hill Head this morning and a few more were noted in the County. Yes, just the usual birds seen and even they were not easy to see either as they start to think about getting to roost. The temperatures have most certainly dropped as the fresh north-east wind kept the climate around 10 degrees throughout the day. 


Above, Ribwort Plantain growing abundantly, as was the Creeping Buttercup below, within the Cemy. 


Most noticeable were the Creeping Buttercups within the Cemy, especially around the southern end between the graves. But apart from them, not a great deal else of note though Ribwort Plantain was abundant on the graves and in flower too. The large Hoverfly, Myathropa florea (Batman Hoverfly) was now on the wing and one showed well enjoying sunbathing on the trunk of a Chestnut tree. On the same tree, just above the Hoverfly, a large Buff-tailed Bumble Bee also rested on the same trunk.


Above, The Hoverfly, Myathropa florea showing well on one of the trees and below, a Buff-tailed Bumble Bee on the same tree.  

A brief, though lovely walk in the sunshine, though I do hope it warms up for this week's Bank Holiday weekend. A pair of Ring Ouzels were found today and well photographed by the ‘Lazee’s’ on the south side of Old Winchester Hill today. I was tempted to go for the birds, but getting out of Portsmouth after work is simply a nightmare and not only that, I was knackered! I will have to change my attitude if I want to see Nightjar and Woodcock this year.


An atmospheric view of the 'Dupree' Mauseleum within the Cemetery.


I didn't take many bird photo's tonight as there wasn't many birds to photograph! But this juvenile Herring Gull flew low overhead.

Horse Chestnut 'flower spike's in the early evening sunshine.

On my travels today, a male Kestrel was close to the A259 road, which I pointed out to a work colleague while I was lambasting Wildfowlers to him! A Common Buzzard was seen soaring low over the A27 as we were heading to Emsworth and a surprise sighting of a Grey Wagtail flying over Chichester Crematorium was noteworthy, but no sign of yesterday’s Sparrowhawks by the nest. I didn't really have a chance to explore the grounds of The Oaks Crematorium today, but I did see a Grey Heron flying high over the grounds. Below, the pair of Ring Ouzels on Old Winchester Hill today. Photo by Andy Friend.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...