Friday, March 25, 2022

Blackcap and a few good moths.

Friday 25th March 2022.

From left to right, Double-striped Pug, Early Grey and Angle Shades on top of my moth box.

The fine weather continues to dominate with a very warm day and a cloudless sky to entice many a birder out in the field; though unless you are retired or on holiday, then its good old work for the likes of me, but I did have a good day while out doing my job, including some nice moths and my first Blackcap of the year.

The cold temperatures overnight continue and this morning, I was rudely awakened by a couple of Foxes screaming at each other in the back gardens, much to the annoyance of some of my neighbours who shouted at them to stop at some unearthly hour this morning! So, half an hour before my alarm went off, I made my way downstairs and put the kettle on. I then went outside to check the moth box and a grand total of 20 moths were counted, by far the most I have had this year!

One of two Double-striped Pugs this morning.

My first Angle Shades of the year was present, sitting on the white sheet and also TWO Early Greys were also by the sheet. Two Double-striped Pugs and three Light Brown Apple Moths rested on top of the box and a good count of 11 Common Plumes were near the box. Finally, a lone Beautiful Plume was hiding behind the sheet. I was well pleased with this total as a small herd of Mute Swans flew south low over the houses as I made my way back indoors for breakfast!

Light Brown Apple Moth.

On my travels today in the works car, I was making my way this morning to our Fareham branch and taking the back country roads through Denmead, I picked out a pair of Red Kites soaring high over the Chairmakers Pub. Back over The Oaks Crematorium, I had a quick check for moths around by the Book of Remembrance building and found only a Common Plume resting on one of the windows. However, in the distance in the wood behind me, I heard the distinctive song of a male Blackcap and so I hastily made my way to the edge of the woodland and waited patiently for the bird to fly out of cover and dive on board my year list, of which it duly obliged. Even without binoculars, there was no mistaking this gorgeous Warbler.

Other notable sightings here included a Grey Wagtail that took a liking for the roof  of the Crematorium (its covered in grass and plants as its an eco friendly building). A Nuthatch was singing deep within the woodland nearby and a lone Brimstone butterfly flew south along the edge of the woodland. My last job of the day was a drive across Portsdown Hill to get to our Fareham Branch once again for a job at Portchester Crematorium. While driving across the Hill, a Red Kite circled overhead and then flew south, while a pale headed Common Buzzard stood motionless on a fence post near the side of the road. A male Kestrel was seen hovering overhead near the main road as I made my west.  Earlier today, back at Portchester Crematorium, I checked the back of the Crem for moths and came up with just two moths. The first was a Common Plume, but the second was a superb Early Thorn moth, a species I have only encountered a few times, the last was many years ago too. So, I was pretty pleased in finding this moth.

The Early Thorn moth residing on the South Chapel exit of Portchester Crematorium.

Tomorrow should be exciting for I hope to take a trip to the north west corner of the County in search of Stone Curlews. I have the exact location and I understand, we should be meeting some of the 'Lazee Birders' there tomorrow morning. The weather is set to be fine once more and so fingers crossed, we just might get lucky. On Farlington Marshes today, a pair of Spoonbills took up residence on the pool behind the main reedbed while over at Chichester Gravel Pits, the Bonaparte’s Gull was still present this morning along with the pair of Red-crested Pochards. The pair of Garganey were on the Severals still by Pagham Harbour and a couple of Black Redstarts were on the rubble still around Greenlease Farm behind Church Norton. And as I write, a couple of the 'Lazee' gang are watching a Short-eared Owl on Farlington Marshes this evening.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...