Wednesday, February 16, 2022

Midweek update.

Wednesday 16th February 2022.

A Common Plume moth at Portchester Crematorium today. 

Three species of raptor have been seen today while on my travels at work and as per usual, they were all seen over Portsdown Hill that included 2 Common Buzzards, 2 Kestrels and a Red Kite. Though I pointed them out to my work colleagues, I don't expect it will stay long in their memories! While driving over the Hill, I saw up to 6 Skylarks this morning, all hovering low over the roadside fields and another was heard singing high over the grounds of Portchester Crematorium, though I never saw this bird. Yesterday, while working over The Oaks Crematorium, a Grey Wagtail flew high over heading westbound.

A Firecrest in the New Forest. Photo by John Manley.

I had a good check around Portchester Crematorium for moths, but the only one I found was a Common Plume (see photo).  The wait for a Noctuid moth goes on it seems. The weather has been extremely mild this week and even this morning it got up to 14 degrees. However, the weather soon closed in as two big storms are on their way to the UK; Storm Dudley today and on Friday, Storm Eunice. I have got Friday off work and was hoping to do a spot of birding, but judging by what the meteorologists are saying, the winds could get up to 100mph!

A Lesser Redpoll at Blashford Lakes. Photo by John Manley.

The American Robin, Hume’s Leaf Warbler and the Hooded Crow are still in the Eastbourne area according to Birdguides and currently, there are two drake Baikal Teals in the UK! The very long staying Belted Kingfisher is still residing in Lancashire (please come further south!) and who knows what these winds will bring in? I have been keeping an eye on what North Norfolk has had to offer and I noticed that there are FIVE Shorelarks now at Holkham Gap and the Short-toed Lark is still at a place called West Runton. I never made the journey to see this bird when I was up there last week, but I did need more time to potentially get another potential 9 species on my year list.

One of the Shorelarks I saw at Holkham Gap last week.

Sad news came in over the weekend that two of the reintroduced Isle of Wight White-tailed Eagles had been found dead in suspicious circumstances in Dorset. Both were found around hunting estates. Surprise, surprise! Even the local Tory MP made a derisory comment about police should be spending more time catching criminals instead of worrying about wildlife; the sad f***!. I have had the pleasure of seeing one of these birds last year in West Sussex and even the birds on the Isle of Skye many years ago. They belong in our skies and in our lives for all to enjoy.      


No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...