Sunday, February 6, 2022

Ruffs in fields off Lady Ann's Drive.

Sunday 6th February 2022.

One of two Ruffs seen this morning from Lady Ann's Drive.

I have not simply come up to North Norfolk to go birding 24/7 as one has to realise it is a joint holiday that both my wife and myself and therefore, I like to take my wife places that she wants to go to as well. Today, we planned a trip to Wells-next-to-Sea for a nice walk with Scruff and hopefully, a spot of lunch in one of the harbour side Cafe’s. However, the weather was going to be indifferent with strong winds and showers forecast throughout the day. Thankfully, it remained dry throughout our stay at Wells.


Brent Geese were abundant on the Salt marsh.


A Little Grebe swimming in the channel near the sea wall.


Becky and Scruff walking along the footpath leading to the Lifeboat Station. 

Becky bought herself a warm hat to wear in one of the local gift shops and then we took a walk north along the harbour up till we got close to the Lifeboat Station. All the time we were walking, I was keeping an eye out on all the bird life which included good numbers of Brent Geese making the most of the fresh marsh within the harbour. The tide was up and almost immediately, I came across a lone Little Grebe on the water and along the shoreline, Curlew, Oystercatchers and Redshank could be seen in search of food. 


A couple of Herring Gulls enjoying resting on one of the small boats. 


East Hills in the distance. I wonder if anyone goes birding over that side of the harbour?


Waders flocking up over East Hills. One of the rotors of the Offshore Wind farm out in the North Sea can be seen behind them. 

The footpath was a little flooded in places, but that did not put off many dog walkers out for a stroll, despite the freezing cold wind buffeting us. Both Skylark and Meadow Pipits flew over and I was pretty sure that a Goldcrest had flown over the Saltmarsh and landed in the Sueda bushes below us along the shoreline. I was checking out the Salt marsh all the time and I could see skeins of Brent Geese flying over and large flocks of waders also flying over in the distance. It wasn't till we neared the beach at the end of the path that I noticed a sizable group of both Bar-tailed Godwit and Knot resting on the beach with the Oystercatchers. Out on the water, I had to use my camera to identify a pair of distant ducks on the water. They turned out to be a pair of Red-breasted Mergansers bobbing on the now choppy water.


Knot, Bar-tailed Godwit and Oystercatchers coming into land on the beach near the Lifeboat Station. 



Occasionally, the sun came out and lit up the Salt marsh and even the wind dropped a little. A wonderful place to be then as the waders and wildfowl were a lot more active. A distant raptor suddenly flew high over the Salt marsh, putting up all the bird life and scattering them everywhere. It was a Red Kite, judging by the wing shape and length of tail. I am really hoping for a Merlin hunting over the Salt marsh, but maybe later this coming week. We both agreed to have a hot drink and something to eat before we left here and so had lunch in Wells Deli, enjoying the views of the harbour in doing so.


The Fieldfare in the field from Lady Ann's Drive.


Wigeon and an Oystercatcher within the fields.


Another photo of my first Ruff of the year. 

We planned to go to a Farm shop before heading back to the Cottage, but beforehand, I wanted to check out Lady Anne's Drive for wildfowl and waders. I could not be bothered in paying the parking fee as I was not going to be too long due to the huge rain cloud heading our way. I just parked up and got out of the car and looked firstly east into the fields where there were large flocks of Wigeon and smaller numbers of Teal and Shoveler among them. There were also a few skeins of Geese present, which included Pink-footed, Canada, Grey Lags and a pair of Egyptian Geese either flying or resting within the fields. A lone Fieldfare was showing well, hopping about among an Oystercatcher, Redshank and the Wigeon, which looked quite unusual. Then the rain came.


A Curlew looking rather proud of itself.


A Common Snipe feeding near a small stream in the field.


A Pink-footed Goose flying off over the fields.

Quickly jumping back into the car, I put the wipers on so I could see out of the windscreen and from here, I found my first Ruff of the year, searching for food in the field close by. A second bird, sporting a much whiter head and probably a male bird, was seen minutes later along with a small flock of Common Snipe flew over the same field. The rain eventually abated and I got out of the car and began photographing the birds, most being very co-operative. I could see a Common Buzzard drifting over the fields, again, a large raptor upsetting most of the birds below. Looking over to the west side of the Drive, there were plenty of Wigeon but not a great deal else so I made my way back to the car and off to the Farmhouse. Both Red Kite and Common Buzzard were seen along the way back, while Becky enjoyed looking at the many Piggies in the fields!       



Pink-footed Geese in the fields.


 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...