Thursday, February 3, 2022

Midweek update.

Thursday 3rd February 2022.


One of three Common Plume moths in my garden late this afternoon.

This week has been quite mild with daily temperatures just into double figures most days, though mostly overcast. The rest of the week looks to remain the same and with Norfolk knocking on my door tomorrow, I am just hoping that my wife and I get some good weather. We shall see.

Above, a female Goosander on Eyeworth Pond and below, a drake Mandarin posing nicely for the camera on the same pond. Photos by Christine Whiffen.


Yesterday, it was a glorious day with near unbroken sunshine and hardly a breath of wind. This weather brought out my first Hoverfly sighting of the year; though I did not get a great look at it as I was actually working, I was pretty sure it was a Marmalade Hoverfly. I was working in the Bosham area yesterday and while waiting outside the Holy Trinity CHurch at Bosham, a pair of Common Buzzards were circling high overhead in the sunshine. On the way there, I spotted a female Sparrowhawk making a dash between houses in Bedhampton, what looked like a hunting swoop on its potential prey. Also seen yesterday were at least three more Common Buzzards and a Kestrel over Portsdown Hill while driving. 

A pair of displaying Red-breasted Mergansers at Hayling Oysterbeds. Photo by Christine Whiffen. 

I have noticed a lot of Snowdrops coming out in bloom on my way around Portchester Crematorium and along some roadside verges in the area. Also at Portchester Crematorium, there were good numbers of Buff-tailed Bumblebees on the wing, enjoying the flowering heather near the North Chapel. In West Sussex yesterday, up to 6 Glossy Ibis have been seen around the Marsh Farm area of Pagham Harbour and are regularly roosting now within the Owl Copse along with at least 40 Cattle Egrets. Incredible, just a shame I have not caught up with them yet. 


This superb photo of a White-tailed Eagle was taken yesterday near Christchurch, Dorset. Obviously, one of the re-introduction scheme birds from the Isle of Wight; they are certainly spreading out all over the place. The programme, Winter Watch, reported one in the North Norfolk area last week! I do hope it is still there. Photo by David John Faulkner. Many thanks David.

Today, me and my work colleagues did a road trip to Trent Park Cemetery, Barnet, in North London and it was a most enjoyable trip too. Always on the lookout for Ring-necked Parakeets over the M25, this time I was eventually in luck when I spotted a flock of 4 birds flying over the road, a species that was added to my year list. Other notable sightings included up to 6 Red Kites, 6 Common Buzzards and 5 Kestrels from the road, while in the Cemetery itself, a Green Woodpecker, a single Redwing and 2 Goldcrests were seen and another Ring-necked Parakeet was heard only in the nearby woodland.


Check this out. I have actually been recording birds since 1977 and looking back in one of my old Notebooks (way before Computers, etc), exactly 40 years ago yesterday, I was down Farlington Marshes with my birding pal, Geoff Farwell. Though the literature is somewhat brief, look at the birds we saw that day. Hen Harrier, Merlin and Scaup to say the least. It is probably why that Farlington Marshes is still my favourite location and can always throw in a nice surprise or two when down there.

I have actually put the moth box on within my garden tonight. Because of the mild overnight temperatures, I just might get lucky. Today, I have found 3 Common Plume moths near the moth box and earlier this week, there was a Beautiful Plume moth, so there is always a chance of something a bit scarcer?


My moth box is on tonight. Hopefully, I could get a few tomorrow morning?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...