Thursday, January 27, 2022

Midweek Update.

Thursday 27th January 2022.


These Catkins growing by the Oaks Crematorium. Because of our very mild winter, these are showing all over the woodlands in the South. 

A bit of a late midweek roundup for my blog with sightings seen from Tuesday onwards this week. It has been a rather overcast week so far and temperatures about normal for this time of year. Hardly any wind here on the south coast and no rain whatsoever.  I have been quite busy at work and mostly driving in places like The Oaks Crematorium, Portchester Crematorium and over Portsdown Hill; although yesterday, my work colleague and myself had to go to Grayshott in Surrey to carry out one of our work duties.


This White-shouldered House Moth was perched on the wall in our warm living room!

On Tuesday, I had an incredible number of Redwing flying over The Oaks Crematorium with large flock after flock over a ten minute period at midday. I had a count of at least 200+ birds pouring through the woodland and most heading north-west over the car park; by far the largest number I have seen this winter. Some rested in the nearby woodland and the gorgeous sub-song of the species was heard clearly by the edge of the car park. Other birds seen during my hour-long stay here included a Nuthatch, 2 Coal Tit, 2 Jays and a Mistle Thrush. A male Kestrel was seen flying up from the ground and landing in trees behind the Crematorium and on the way to The Oaks, I spotted two Common Buzzards perched on roadside trees while I was driving along.

Yesterday was much quieter, but I was much busier, though I did see good numbers of both Kestrel and Common Buzzard along the A3. The only other bird of note was a very brief Grey Wagtail over the Crookhorn area. Today, The Oaks provided the majority of sightings that included several views of a Great Spotted Woodpeckers and even the Green Woodpecker was finally seen here, after several times I had only heard the bird. It was feeding around the south of the grounds, behind the small pond. A few Redwing were seen at the top of the trees within the woodland as well as a lone Song Thrush and a Mistle Thrush. Of course, there were a few Blackbirds present too, but no sign of any Fieldfares picked up here yet. Finally, a Marsh Tit was heard calling on the edge of the woodland, but no sighting today.

The Little Bunting seen 5 years ago on Portsdown Hill. Photo by Bart Ives.

In Hampshire today, the Yellow-browed Warbler was present again at Hook-with-Warsash and a Firecrest was seen with it also. The Bittern was showing well from the Ivy North Hide, Blashford Lakes and off Hill Head the four Velvet Scoter were still present and a Red-throated Diver was also offshore. Nearly 5 years ago today, I saw my first Hampshire Little Bunting on Portsdown Hill with Birding pal, John Goodall; many years later from my first ever one in West Sussex. Thankfully, it lingered into the weekend for many of us to enjoy, but my sighting was very brief as it popped up on a small branch and then soon flitted off into the fields. I have been lucky enough to have seen several more over the years since including the two birds on Thursley Common last year. Cracking little birds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...