Monday, October 4, 2021

Monday 4th October 2021.

Dawn over East Prawle this morning. I wonder what goodies lay in store for us today. 

A bright morning kicked off another day on my week long break here in East Prawle, though the wind is still blustery. There is going to be more rain showers again today, but first thing this morning, I checked out the moth box in search of more goodies! I woke early this morning (4am in fact!) and simply could not fall back to sleep, so I went on my blog and updated some of the recent entries. I am no author/novel writer and so I have to re-read sometimes what I have written so it makes sense!



Top photo, a collection of some of the moths present in and around my moth box today. Bottom photo, my first Rush Veneer of the year.

Again, there was a nice sprinkling of moths to entertain this morning, though the only moths new for the year was a Rush Veneer, a common immigrant moth that does fluctuate in numbers every year. Still, a welcome addition to my year list. A Silver Y was present on the white sheet and there were again, good numbers of both Feathered Ranunculus and Lunar Underwings. The following moths were present this morning:

  • 10 Feathered Ranunculus
  • 6 Lunar Underwing
  • 1 Beaded Chestnut
  • 1 Silver Y
  • 1 Black Rustic
  • 1 Brindled Green
  • 1 Large Ranunculus
  • 1 Angle Shades
  • 2 Light Brown Apple Moth


Angle Shades.

Beaded Chestnut

 There was a lot of visible migration going on outside the Cottage as streams of Meadow Pipits, Pied Wagtails and Swallows were flying through and as I write this up, I am looking out of the kitchen window watching lots of birds flying over the Cottage. I shall be taking Scruff out for a walk after breakfast and hopefully grab some bird photos this time!  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...