Saturday, September 25, 2021

Clancy's Rustic moth the highlight this morning.

Saturday 25th September 2021.

The month is quickly drawing to a close but the moths keep on coming in my garden, thankfully, albeit mostly Box Tree Moths. However, I was in for a nice surprise when I discovered a superb Clancy’s Rustic moth (above) on one of the trays: a species that I have only ever seen once before all the time I have been into moths. A few Lunar Underwings and a scattering of other species maintained my interest as I got to work in recording the moths.

It was a grey overcast start to the morning and having a nice lay in, I was not surprised to find quite a few Box Tree Moths in and around the box. Overhead, a Meadow Pipit was the only bird of note flying over while checking the box. A rooftop Starling nearby gave a very good Tree Pipit impression and had me staring skywards. Photo above, some of the moths present in my box this morning.

I am hoping to go birding sometime today although my daughter is moving house and I said I would help her which should be sometime soon today. I have put Andy on alert that it probably will be sometimes this afternoon we shall go out and find another ‘year-tick’. There has been a juvenile Purple Heron near the village of Pagham seen again this morning but it is quite elusive and only shows flight views at present, but it is tempting to take a trip over there. Currently, there is ‘panic buying’ of petrol that is blighting the UK’s roads and here on the south coast is no exception. It was ridiculous yesterday and annoyingly, I do need to get fuel. Photo above, the two Lunar Underwings.

The moths seen this morning included the following species:

  • 1 Clancy’s Rustic
  • 1 Lime-speck Pug
  • 2 Double-striped Pug
  • 2 Willow Beauty
  • 2 Lunar Underwing
  • 1 Brimstone moth
  • 2 Square-spot Rustic
  • 1 Garden Carpet
  • 2 L-album Wainscot
  • 1 Large Yellow Underwing
  • 1 Lesser Yellow Underwing
  • 1 Pale Mottled Willow
  • 11 Box Tree Moths
  • 1 Eudonia angustea
  • 4 Common Plume



No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...