Friday, September 17, 2021

A BRAND NEW START.

 

Friday 17th September 2021.


Finally, I am back with a new Blog, having replaced the Financial Birder with Financial Birder 2 due to the fact that my Blog domain is about to close. Yes, I am really disappointed, but I was even more disappointed with the lack of help from various Computer companies in the Portsmouth area. The only one I have faith in were Curry's, who helped me considerably and I would like to give my thanks to those guys. I just need to transfer my old blog details over to this domain and fingers crossed, it might happen. 

Below, my first Red Underwing moth of the year. This species is one of our largest moths and although you cannot see the actual red under the wing, trust me, when it flies, it is simply stunning. The moth has been hanging around the Flower Bay at Portchester Crematorium for at least three days.  


                                               

Now, please be patient with me as I am new to the layout on this Blog and there will be a few changes on the layout while I get to grips on what I can and cannot add to it. Should be interesting. So for now, I have uploaded a few photos of some of the best moths I have seen this week which were either in my garden or Portchester Crematorium and fingers crossed, I hope to get film footage on here as well as some quality photos, plus the mind-numbing ramblings of this old man!

Below, Straw Underwing moths are also typical for this time of year, but I rarely get into double figures of this species. This Autumn, I have been lucky in seeing up to two so far in my moth box and another at Portchester Crematorium this week.


                                        

Out and about at work today, my first port of call was to Rose Green, near Bognor Regis and then off to Chichester Crematorium. Not a great deal seen, but I was keeping an eye out for the 32+ White Storks that took off yesterday from the Knepp Estate in West Sussex and then today, returning back through Hampshire and last seen circling Clanfield! A White Stork had been seen perched on a Radio Mast behind Farlington Marshes early this morning and later on this afternoon, but I failed to see it twice! The Glossy Ibis was still present in the fields to the east of Warblington Cemetery of which Andy got to see it yesterday on his day off. I hope to see the bird tomorrow if all goes well.

It is always appreciated when I get to see a rare moth and Autumn can play its part when immigrant moths from Europe arrive unexpectedly on our shores. Dewick's Plusia moths (below) are a regular immigrant, but I have only ever seen one and that was about 3 years ago, so to find one at Portchester Crematorium this week was a real bonus. Gratefully confirmed by Hampshire Moth Recorder, Mike Wall, as this species, I was so happy to add this to my ever growing year list, which currently stands at 203 species for the year. 




Below, I put on my blog some film footage of the juvenile Red-backed Shrike that frequented Pagham Harbour last week, staying for approximately 9 days and showing exceptionally well to the appreciating Birders and onlookers. Arguably, this had to be the best view of this species as as juvenile I have seen in the UK, for they are normally distant and flighty birds.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...