Friday 11th September 2026.
Unfortunately, I was up at stupid o’clock for the heavy rain
overnight woke me up and so I had to get up now that I was wide awake at 4am!
It wasn’t light till after 6am, but despite the heavy rain that thankfully was
long gone by the time I got out into the back garden, I then checked a very
soggy Moth Box.
There wasn’t a cloud in the sky when I ventured outside into
the garden, but there was very little flying over and no sign of any visible
migration. The only bird of note flying over was a distant Greenfinch, but
there was a Chiffchaff calling quietly in the back gardens. A Robin was
‘ticking’ again in the large tree at the back of my garden, but no sighting of
the bird.
Insects attracted to the Moth Box overnight included a Batman
Hoverfly (Myathropa florea) and my first Birch Sheildbug (Elasmostethus interstinctus)
of the year.
My Moth Box:
I thought yesterday’s Moth total recorded was never going to
be beaten this week but today proved it wrong with a bigger total of 81 moths
of 24 species. Though there was nothing new for the year, the numbers of
certain species were incredible, noticeably the Large Yellow Underwings with at
least 19 present. 10 Pale Mottled Willows was also a good total along with 9
L-album Wainscot’s.
Notable Moths this morning included up to 6 Golden
Twin-spots, 2 Angle Shades, 2 Turnip Moths and a Clancy’s Rustic. All migrant
species. Regarding the micro moths; Rusty-dot Pearl (Udea ferrugalis),
Olive-tree Pearl (Palpita vitrealis) and my first Diamond-back Moth (Plutella
xylostella) for several months, were also all migrant Moths.
The outside egg trays took a good soaking and so I laid them
out on my garden table to dry out in the sunshine. I am hoping to get a new
white board to put at the back of my Moth Box as the old one now is looking
rather grim and so will be disposed of over the weekend. The Moths recorded
this morning were as follows:
|
MACRO MOTHS |
MICRO MOTHS |
|
|
|
|
Golden
Twin-spot x6 |
Rusty-dot
Pearl x3 |
|
Pale Mottled
Willow x10 |
Olive-tree
Pearl x7 |
|
Shuttle-shaped
Dart x3 |
Light Brown
Apple Moth x5 |
|
Bright-line
Brown-eye x1 |
Apple Leaf
Miner x1 |
|
Large Yellow
Underwing x19 |
Mint Moth x1 |
|
Lesser Yellow
Underwing x2 |
Common Plume
x1 |
|
Square-spot
Rustic x4 |
Chevron
Grass-moth x1 |
|
Clancy’s
Rustic x1 |
Box Tree Moth
x1 |
|
Garden Carpet
x1 |
Diamond-back
Moth x1 |
|
L-album
Wainscot x9 |
Tree-mallow
Tortrix x1 |
|
Buff Ermine
x1 |
|
|
Vine’s Rustic
x1 |
|
|
Turnip Moth
x2 |
|
|
Angle Shades
x2 |
|
Pembroke Road, Old Portsmouth:
Though it was a bright start on my first shift in Pembroke
Road this morning, there were only 9 species in all seen or heard this morning.
To be honest, it was all the usual birds too with nothing really of note yet to
be seen here today
Two more species were added to the day list here this
afternoon with both Black-headed and Great Black-backed Gull both flying over Pembroke
Road during my second shift. The weather was pleasant still with plenty of
sunshine until a large bank of high white cloud rolled in from the west, but
still remained warm.



.jpg)





No comments:
Post a Comment