Friday, August 14, 2026

Some garden activity and another trip over the Cemy.

Friday 14th August 2026.


This Jay remained stationary on the gravestone in the Cemetery this evening.


I decided not to put the moth box out overnight, partly because I had been trapping some of the same moths repeatedly and wanted to give them a better chance. It also meant I could take a welcome break from getting up at dawn — there is nothing quite like a lie-in!

Yesterday was expected to be the hottest day of the year so far, but this afternoon felt even more intense here in Southsea. My mobile phone showed 32°C during the afternoon, and the heat was extremely uncomfortable.

Garden Wildlife in the Afternoon Shade


I found this Blair's Mocha moth perched on the Garden Box this afternoon.

Once part of the garden was shaded enough to sit in comfortably, I took a seat with my camera and spent some time watching the wildlife in the back garden. The insect activity quickly became the main focus.



Above, one of many Small White butterflies and below, a Holly Blue appearing briefly from one of the plants.



A  A Golden Twin-spot was fluttering through the vegetation before eventually settling on one of the plants, giving me just enough time to take a few photos.



A Red Admiral butterfly perched on our swing seat.


·     Another notable moth, a Blair’s Mocha, was found perched on the garden box that supports my moth box.

Butterflies and a Surprise Beewolf

Butterflies were abundant in the garden, with several species active during the afternoon.

·        At least four Holly Blues were seen around the garden.

·        Red Admiral, Large White, and Small White butterflies were also present.

·    Later in the afternoon, a European Beewolf was found buzzing around the lavender plants — an exceptional record for the garden.



The European Beewolf on the Lavender. A garden first!


At first glance, I thought it might be a Clearwing moth, mainly because of the way it was flying. On closer inspection, however, it looked more like a very thin wasp. It turned out to be a European Beewolf, our largest solitary wasp. As this species usually hunts around sandy soil, it was intriguing to find one investigating the lavender plants.


Highland Road Cemetery, Southsea:



A Carrion Crow searching the brown grass near the Chapel.

The dogs needed their evening walk and though it was still quite warm, I started to regret taking them for it seemed they were struggling a bit to cope with the very warm evening. On a good note, they persevered and made it home OK and I encouraged them to drink a lot of water.



Above, several Meadow Brown butterflies were seen and below, a pair of Collared Doves showed well.



A couple of Pied Flycatchers were seen today here on the south coast where one was found for its second day at Crofton Cemetery, Fareham and another was found at the Triangle field by Sparkes Marina, Hayling Island (see photo). Therefore, there was a good chance that one might be in the Cemetery this evening. However, it was not to be but I did see a female Sparrowhawk flying eastbound over the Cemetery with a couple of Carrion Crows in pursuit. A Jay was perched for some time on one of the gravestones and around ten minutes later, it was still there, though it did fly down to the ground eventually.



The micro moth Straw-barred Pearl. My first of the year. This Cemetery is rife with them around this time of year.

Butterflies were also abundant within the Cemetery that included Small White’s, Meadow Browns and at least 6 Red Admirals in one place within the Cemy! As I made my way back past the Holm Oaks, a small micro moth took flight by my feet and it turned out to be my first Straw-barred Pearl (Pyrausta despicata) moth this year to round off a short, but interesting walk around my local patch.  



The Pied Flycatcher on Hayling Island today. Photo by Andy Friend.


 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Some garden activity and another trip over the Cemy.

Friday 14 th August 2026. This Jay remained stationary on the gravestone in the Cemetery this evening. I decided not to put the moth bo...