Thursday, July 23, 2026

The Swifts checking out my nestboxes.

 

Thursday 23rd July 2026.


A pair of Swifts checking out this nestbox. At least two broods were raised in this particular Box above my house.

I didn’t put out the moth box overnight, giving some moths a chance to fly off to other areas rather than be re-trapped. Today, however, it was the Swifts that grabbed the headlines. When I returned home after a spot of shopping, at least eight birds were inspecting the nest boxes by my house. They have bred successfully this year, and I know of two pairs that have had two broods.






Some of the Swifts by my house today.

So why are they checking the Boxes again. Possibly late breeders perhaps or simply just checking them out for next year. Still, they were a pleasure to watch and as I stood still and waited to take some photos, the birds duly obliged to cling on and check out the Boxes. Recently, there have been many Swifts gathering up in big flocks both morning and evening and as I write this, they are screaming outside.



Above and below, the Long-tailed Shrike in Gloucestershire. Photos by Emma Parkes.


Other nature news today included a Hornet-mimic Hoverfly landing on our garden table this afternoon. This is the second one I have had this year in my garden and a common sight in the late Autumn when the Ivy is flowering. Birding pals, Emma and Matt Parkes, took the long trip to Gloucestershire to see the long-staying Long-tailed Shrike and was successful with some excellent photos.

 


Above, the Wood Sandpiper still remained on Keyhaven Marshes. Photo by Rob Porter. Below, the Pectoral Sandpiper was also still present today at the same location. Photo by Steve Laycock.






No comments:

Post a Comment

The Swifts checking out my nestboxes.

  Thursday 23 rd July 2026. A pair of Swifts checking out this nestbox. At least two broods were raised in this particular Box above my h...