Monday 27th July 2026.
I shall put the moth box out overnight, as I have not used it
for the past two evenings. Another heatwave is on the way, and apart from a
little drizzle early yesterday morning, there is no rain forecast this week to ease
the parched ground here in the south. The grassy areas around Southsea and
Portsmouth are yellow, and without watering my garden every other day, the
plants would soon die.
Southern Europe is like a tinderbox, with large areas of Spain
and southern France burning almost out of control as temperatures climb into
the 40s. Even here in the UK, a large fire scorched a vast area of heathland in
West Wight, apparently started by a thoughtless person’s campfire. It took five
days to put out. If the culprits are found, a substantial fine and a proper jail
sentence would be appropriate. Even the Cairngorms suffered a major heathland
fire, though thankfully a band of rain has moved in to help quell it. But what about
the damage to the wildlife these areas support? The harm can be irreparable,
and the land may take years to recover. Sad, sad times.
On a very sad note, one of my childhood idols, birdwatcher
Bill Oddie, passed away today aged 85. I was a huge fan of The Goodies when I
was at school and even owned a few of their singles. Around the same time, I
was getting into birding, and when I discovered he was also a birder, my admiration
for him grew even more. I once saw him at Farlington Marshes in the late 1970s,
where he apparently found a Bonaparte’s Gull, although no one else saw it. He helped
launch Springwatch with Kate Humble, but sadly had to leave the programme
because of mental illness. Rest in peace, Bill, and thank you for helping champion
bird conservation.
Notable Sightings
On a more positive note, there were several notable
sightings today.
· Olive-tree Pearl moth: An Olive-tree Pearl (Palpita vitrealis) was seen at nearby retirement flats in Southsea. It was only the second one I have seen this year.
· Migrant Hawker dragonfly: This afternoon,
a Migrant Hawker was quartering the gardens around my house, but it did not
settle and eventually flew off east.
· Red Admiral butterfly: I had better luck with a Red Admiral, which settled on my garden table several times.
.jpg)


No comments:
Post a Comment